Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Can’t we just get along?

Apparently not, Wyatt over at support your local gun fighter just posted an excellent piece about Michael Newdown. You might not remember him but he is the one who wants to remove all traces of Christianity from our daily lives because he doesn’t believe in god or a higher power.

I have never understood why my belief in God upsets those who don’t. It truly boggles my mind. How does my belief hurt them? I have a very dear friend who does not believe in dinosaurs. Nope, not at all. As far as she is concerned they weren’t mentioned in the bible, therefore they do not exist. The fact that their bones and foot prints have been found scatted just about all over the world is inconsequential. Does this bother me that I believe in dinosaurs and she does not? Do I spend my time trying to convince her that dinosaurs truly did exist? Does she spend all her waking hours trying to get dinosaurs removed from museums or children’s televisions shows? Ok I grant her that, I wish Barney would be removed as well. But that is not how we spend our days. Instead we talk about all the other things we have in common and dinosaurs never come up in conversation.

How does this relate to the atheists wanting all signs and mention of my faith removed because they don’t believe in it? They believe I am wrong to believe that I am putting my faith in something that does not and has never existed. That would make me a silly mistaken fool and someone to be both pitied and laughed at, how does that hurt them? It doesn’t, that was a trick question.

This next part is not for children, but I feel it is important. I don’t believe in Santa Claus, ok I said it. Am I offended by all the Santa displays this time if year? Not at all, I find them charming and I encourage my daughter’s belief in him because that is one of the things that make childhood magical.

I think they do protest too much. Let’s look at it logically. First, what if they are right and God does not exist. They have lost nothing and I have lost nothing because I will have lived a life that was morally driven and hopefully would have done some good with the time I had on earth. Now let’s assume that we are right and God is the creator of the universe. Then I have gained everything and they have lost everything. I think that scares them; the thought that what if they are wrong. What if the only thing they have to look forward to is the fiery pit? If that is the case then I would not want the constant reminders that I may be wrong staring me in the face every time I make a purchase, sit down to watch a ball game, listen to the president being sworn in, or any of the other numerous events when the name of our Lord is mentioned. After all, it would just make me feel bad. I think saying that we are forcing our religion down their thoughts is a smoke screen used to cover up their own fears that maybe, just maybe, there is something out there that is in control and we didn’t just show up by accident. They are in the minority with a majority of us having Christian beliefs. I have news for them though, they may not believe in God, but God believes in them and loves them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%.
I like the new look for your blog.
Thanks for the kind words on my blog.Rick

BobG said...

I don't understand why some people have to force their beliefs on others; how is that jackass any different from someone who goes around beating people over the head with the Bible? All he has done is made a religion out of atheism.
Personally, I don't believe any of the religions I've seen, but that doesn't mean everyone should be forced to accept my beliefs. My feeling is that people should be allowed any beliefs they want, as long as they don't push them on others. If people want to have a prayer at the beginning of an event, what is the harm to non-believers? Just bow your head, shut up, and show some respect for other people's beliefs.
Just my opinion.