Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tuesday’s person of the week.



Yes I know its Wednesday but with school the kids and what not, I did not get this finished until just now. Wednesday’s regular post will be this afternoon.

This week’s person of the week is not one person but several people who have made an incredible difference to my daughter. I am talking about the staff of her school. Robyn is a very smart, funny delightfully silly little girl who has some pretty big struggles with school. In addition to having an absent seizer disorder that is thankfully controlled by medication, she also struggles with her focus and handwriting. Instead of being frustrated and anxious about school, Robyn is thriving and she loves going each and every day. This is because of the incredible staff at her school.

I wish I could name each and every one of the teachers and staff members who have made such a difference to my daughter and my son, but for privacy sakes I can not. From the principal of the school to the lady who serves her lunch everyday the people at her school are the absolute best. Her principal knows the names of each and every student as well as knowing who that child’s parents are. The office staff is always ready and willing to help no matter what. The school nurse has been there to give Robyn her daily medicine that controls her absent seizures. She has been supportive and encouraging of her ever since they met when my daughter walked through the doors in preschool four years ago. The music, art, and PE teachers have all helped Robyn to develop her creative and active side which has been very good for her. She will tell anyone who will listen just what a wonderful singer she is.

The people who have made the biggest impact on my daughters’ life are her teachers. It was her speech teacher that noticed something was wrong and called me which led to her being diagnosed with absent seizures. It has been her teachers who have worked with her and been concerned enough to call us when they noticed she was having trouble staying focused in class and difficulty writing. It has been Robyn’s classroom teacher, speech teacher, school psychologist, occupational therapist, resource teacher and school nurse who have been there and worked with us to meet Robin’s needs so that she can fully express all that is inside her just waiting to burst out. They have done all this with an incredible amount of love for our daughter. I cannot imagine how difficult my daughters’ struggles with school would be and how frustrated and unhappy she would be if not for this dedicated team of professionals. They are determined that Robyn will succeed; all they have to do is figure out how to unleash her potential. I love each and every one of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo on being a loving and concerned, supportive mother.

Corrections:

Quotes: ". . .The people who have made the biggest impact on my daughters’ life are her teachers."
It has been Robyn’s classroom teacher, . . .
". . .worked with us to meet Robin’s needs so that she can fully express. . ."
" I cannot imagine how difficult my daughters’ struggles with school would be. . ."

Her name is spelled "Robin" twice and then as "Robyn" everywhere else.

daughters' = daughter's (singular)

Sorry, but I think your blog is good enough and you're strong enough as a writer to want to fix these small things.
I'm not being picky. Right is right, and it's not personal. People enjoy reading your thoughts and words, so they should be delivered accurately since they'll be on the internet for years.