Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday’s poetry corner.

Wednesday’s poem is by Robert Louis Stevenson

In keeping with my summer time theme, I found Robert Louis Stevenson’s poem, “Bed In Summer” Like the child in this poem I to remember going to bed when the sun was still up and thinking how unfair it was. I did not care what time it was if the sun was up there was still fun to be had. It was so hard to fall asleep in a room that was too hot and too light. It seemed as though the blinds were never god enough to block out the summer sun. The only thing that seemed to help was when my mom would cool off the sheets and pillowcase by spaying them with Lysol, which for some reason made the bedding delightfully cool.



Bed In Summer

In winter I get up at night,
And dress by yellow candle light.
In summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day,

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown up people's feet
Still going past me in the street,

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Resource: http://www.spritzels.com/poems/summer.html

No comments: