Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wow, I never knew that!


If you had to choose one of the land mammals to be your partner in a potato sack race, which one should you never choose? If you said the elephant, you would be correct, because elephants cannot jump. That is right, the plucky pachyderm cannot jump, not at all. You would be better off choosing a three toed sloth because they can jump even if it is very slowly. This got me thinking, why can’t they jump. They have hips and knees like all the other mammals that are capable of jumping, why cannot they break the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of God. At first, it seemed a little unfair that the poor elephant should be singled out but then I remembered that they are the only land mammal that can pick up their food with their nose and that is pretty cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had heard the story about the elephant being unable to jump.I think it has to do with their size. It would take a lot of power to lift that much animal.

Anonymous said...

Quote: "the plucky pacaderm cannot jump..."
FYI this term for elephants is spelled "pachyderm."
Thought you'd want to know since it's a good blog and you can fix it.

momster said...

Anonymous - Thank you for your input. I fixed my error and I will be more careful in the future. I am glad you enjoy the blog.