Monday, August 25, 2008

Vocabulary word of the week.






Weary

Origin: It is from the Middle English weri, which is from the Old English word wērig.

Part of speech: It is both an adjective and a verb.

History of the word

Definitions

Adverbs:

1. Physically or mentally fatigued.

2. Expressive of or prompted by fatigue: a weary smile.

3. Having one's interest, forbearance, or indulgence worn out: weary of delays.

4. Alternate ending for adverbs: wearily

Verb

To make or become weary.

Causing fatigue; tiresome: a weary wait

It can also be a noun as in weariness

I am extremely weary this afternoon. It was a very rough night. It started off with the absolute inability to fall asleep. I lay there watching the time move steadily onward and calculated ok if I fall asleep now that’s still 5 hours of sleep I will be ok. This continued for a while and then I finally fell asleep only to awaken up some time later and noticed the house was really dark and really quite, which is not a good thing when you live in Arizona and you need the air or at least the ceiling fan on in order to sleep comfortably. The power was off and I had no idea what time it was. I woke up my husband and told him the power was off and I don’t have any idea what time it is. He says” no problem we can fins the time from his cell phone” so I reach into my night stand drawer to get the flashlight I keep there so we can find his cell phone. Only the flashlight is gone, my lovely daughter was playing with it to make a light show in her room and naturally she did not put it back. Somehow my husband finds his cell phone in the dark and we find out it was 3:50 so Duane decides to shower and go to work early very early. After taking his shower by flashlight he leaves with the promise he will call at 6:30 to wake us up in time to get to school and work. Only the power came back at 4:40 which woke me up and then his alarm cloak went off at 4:50 which woke me up and then again ten minutes latter when the snooze alarm went off. And then finally I woke up at 6:00 are figured I might as well get up. I’m very weary.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. Been there. My girls play with our flashlights also.

Anonymous said...

Corrections:

Quote: ". . .noticed the house was really dark and really quite, . . . He says 'no problem we can fins the time from his cell phone' . . ."

Maybe they're just typos, but thought you might want to fix them since it's such a good blog.

quite = quiet
fins = find

Anonymous said...

You really were weary. ;)

Corrections:

Quote: ". . .and then his alarm cloak went off at 4:50 which woke me up and then again ten minutes latter when the snooze alarm went off."

cloak = clock
latter = later