Friday, October 10, 2008

Let’s see if I can stuff ten pounds into a five poundsack.




It’s been an interesting week so far and we are only half way done. This is the first opportunity I have had to write anything other then study guides for my midterm, helping my daughter with her home work, attending my son’s band concert or trying to g figure out how to make a toga for my daughters fall chorus concert. .

I am now going to take these few precious moments and cram a weeks worth of posts into one as I am probably not going to get a chance to do it later.


Vocabulary word of the week.





Victim, as in I am a victim of my own stupidity.

Part of speech: noun

Origin: From Latin word victima

Definition: One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.

I am a victim! True, it was my own fault, but as a victim I can blame everyone else right? Sunday morning the lunch ladies were going to have lunch together then go shopping for our Halloween costumes. I went out to the car, unlocked the door, and unburied my purse from where I hide it so I don’t have to bring it in the house every night. I know that’s stupid and bad but I thought it’s locked, you can’t see it if you look in the car, and we live in a “nice neighborhood”. When I grabbed my purse I noticed the flap was up and my license was gone. I assumed it fell out and I started looking through the stuff I had hidden it under and then I noticed that my credit card was gone too. I went inside and found a message from the bank about suspicious activity on the card. I hardly ever use it so any activity is suspicious. We were able to call the bank to cancel the card and we will get all our money back. They went to a Circle K and spent $60.01 and $60.03, at the same one. I then went to the DMV on Monday and got a new license. I was surprised it wasn’t as hideous as I thought it would be. They were actually really pleasant there and got everyone through rather quickly.

They also took the digital camera I bought with my birthday money. That was my husbands fault though because he left it in the car. He said so himself when I was apologizing for being stupid about the purse so he apologized back for also being stupid. Anyway I now have a new license, I am waiting for a new credit card and I have no camera. I think that makes me a victim twice over. First I am a victim of the person or persons who broke into my car and then so kindly locked it back up after themselves and then I am also a victim of my own stupidity for having left anything valuable in the first place.





Tuesday’s person of the week.

This person of the week is not as you might think, the scum bag that got into my car and took my drivers license, credit card, and my camera. It is the police officer that took the report and did not laugh at me for being so stupid in the first place. The bank said we should call and file a report so I did. The entire time I am thinking what would Wyatt be saying if I was making the report to him? Not that he takes this kind of report; he is a detective after all. The woman was very nice and I answered her questions as best I could. I have a good idea of when the break in occurred but I do not know for sure. I did not have the credit card numbers handy because the cards were gone. I did not have my drivers license number for the same reason, likewise I couldn’t give her serial number to the camera beacsue I don’t have it anymore. I really need to keep netter records. I know mom, I should have been dong that all along and we will ok. Any way she took what little information I had and told me it was a bad habit I had and I needed to stop it. I plan on doing that and I will never ever do it again. There are some not so nice people in my neighborhood.



Wednesday’s poetry corner.



This week’s poem is about loosing and gaining. I lost my drivers license, my credit card, my camera and all the pictures on it, an afternoon waiting in line to get a new license, and my belief that I live in a safe neighborhood and that by locking the doors and putting my purse out of site it was safe. But I have also gained some things, a new license with a better picture of me than the last one, a better understanding of the world we live in and a little bit more cynicism then I had before. With that in mind here is this week’s poem.





Loss And Gain by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

When I compare
What I have lost with what I have gained,
What I have missed with what attained,
Little room do I find for pride.

I am aware
How many days have been idly spent;
How like an arrow the good intent
Has fallen short or been turned aside.

But who shall dare
To measure loss and gain in this wise?

Defeat may be victory in disguise;
The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide.

Source: http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/henry_wadsworth_longfellow/poems/19751.html


Wow I never knew that.




I don’t feel so bad now. According to w a web site I found 40 million credit card or debit card numbers have been stolen. That is a lot of people who have been in the exact same position I found myself in over the weekend. With numbers this high I would think that credit card fraud would be a very high priority for law enforcement and probably the most difficult to investigate. On the other hand if every one protected their credit a little bit better, and I do mean myself, we could pretty much put an end to credit card theft and fraud.


What’s cooking?




Even though we are still experiencing temperatures in the low 100’s and high 90’s its still fall and that means it soup season! I love potato and cheese soups any and all kinds with meat or veggies or just plan old potatoes and cheese with nothing special added. With that in mind I searched the internet for a really good cheesy potato soup and found this one.




Cheese and potato soup

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetables oil
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 10- to 12-ounce russet potato, peeled, diced
1 cup packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped ham
Hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, onion and thyme and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth, then milk. Add potato and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup until potato is tender, about 20 minutes. Add cheese 1/3 cup at a time, stirring until melted and smooth after each addition. Mix in ham. Season soup to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

While I try to only post recipes that I have actually made I thought this one looked good and it was awarded four forks so it must taste pretty good. I might make it for my mom and step father when they come out in few weeks on their way to California. It looks pretty easy to prepare and it looks like it will make a good hearty meal. If any one tries it before I do, please let me know if it taste as good as it sounds.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great poem! :)