Friday, October 3, 2008

What’s cooking?

I am not especially fond of vegetables and black eyed peas were never on my list of veggies I liked. Even if you do need to eat them on New Years Eve in order to make sure you have a year of good luck. That being said last year my husband found a recipe for black eyed peas that I actually liked, a lot. They can be eaten either hot or cold and they are very tasty. It’s an easy recipe. I hope you enjoy this week’s recipe.
New Year's Black-Eyed Peas
From
Dec. 28, 2005 12:00 AM
2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed

1/2 pound cooked ham, in 1-inch dice

1 cup Italian dressing

1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 1/4 cups red or yellow bell pepper, diced

1 1/2 cups green onion, diced

Salt and pepper

Combine peas and ham in a saucepan. Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes.

Add Italian dressing and mix well. Next, add corn, onion, bell pepper and green onion. Mix together and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm, or cool to lukewarm, and refrigerate for several hours before serving as a salad.

Makes 8 servings.



Approximate values per serving: 587 calories, 19 g fat, 16 mg cholesterol, 32 g protein, 77 g carbohydrates, 13 g fiber, 627 mg sodium, 28

1 comment:

Dana said...

I don't like black eyed peas either, but I may just have to try this! Sounds yummy!

Blessings--
Dana