Sunday, June 1, 2008

How can I miss you if you won’t go away?

We are short one child this week as our eldest is up at camp Geronimo until next weekend. I miss him when he is away but the peace and quite that he leaves behind is nice.

One of my son’s favorite pastimes is a game he likes to call, “Just how much can I torment my sister before she either a) retaliates by hitting or biting me , b) she starts to cry and c, my mom ‘s head explodes and she yells at me until her throat bleeds.

Regardless of the out come he somehow feels as though he has won, because whether he has been bitten, hit or yelled at time has passed at it wasn’t boring. And don’t tell me to ignore him and he will stop. He knows that game and he will keep picking and prodding and pushing those buttons until his sister, his mom or both of explode.

The strangest part of this game is that after he has achieved the desired results and the explosion has died down ,leaving behind tear stained faces and moms with gravely voices he will come meekly to me and tell me ‘Mom I am sorry I have been acting to badly but.” Then he will offer some sort of excuse for his behavior. At this point I am expected to take him into my arms and tell him, “ its ok “and its over at least until the next time he gets bored.

In spite of all this, he really is a great kid and we will miss him and will be are looking forward to his coming home in a week. Next Sunday when he walks through the front door, he will be so glad to be back at home where his nice soft bed, decent food, cable TV, computer, game system, friends, a warm shower, and air conditioning await him that he will be on his best behavior for a little while. I would give at least an hour or two.

No comments: