Sunday, June 1, 2008

I am a teacher!


At least I was for 45 minutes. During the last week of school, I finally fulfilled my requirement for social studies methods to teach a full lesson to a classroom of students. The lesson I taught was for civics and government and I taught 21 third graders what the definitions of the words in the pledge of allegiance meant. They learned what pledge, allegiance, republic, indivisible, justice and liberty means.

I wanted to teach this lesson because I felt for many of the students reciting the pledge every morning had become automatic and meaningless. I wanted them to understand the importance of what they say everyday and to appreciate what this country has to offer. In addition to teaching the definition of the words, I had them rewrite the pledge using their own words making the pledge relevant to children. Then I had them write a few brief sentences explaining why they say the pledge and because the teacher makes me was not acceptable.

It was an incredible experience. I had a great time teaching and I think the kids I worked with enjoyed it too. For my first time up in front of a class, I did learn two things. First, timing is crucial. It is better to give the directions to the class before you have them separate into groups. It’s really hard to get their attention back for directions while their getting acquainted with their group. Two if you want them to brainstorm together for what a word means before they look it up in the dictionary font give them the dictionary until after they have thought of the definition .Other wise they go right to the dictionary.

Second, I will either have to learn to control the blood flow to my face or invest in some really makeup. I have a tendency to blush very easily especially when I am nervous. As soon as I stood up in front of all those little faces, I could feel my face heating up and I just knew I was turning red. I will definitely need to learn how to control that.

Despite almost loosing control during the transition and teaching with a red face, I think my fist teaching experience went very well and I can’t wait until I get to do it again. I especially loved it when as each child finished their papers and brought them to me I would ask them do you want to share this with the class and about eight of the students did, and I was so proud of them. I got some wonderful responses to the rewritten pledge which their teacher allowed me to keep but I especially loved the response to why they say the pledge. One little girl said it was because the president is counting on her to do so and another student said it was because she loves the United States.

Having had this small taste of what it is to be a teacher I can’t wait to finish my class work and start student teaching and then a classroom of my own!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear things are going well. Hang in there and keep up the good work.Rick

Sezme said...

Transitions are tough. I usually make each person in the group responsible for part of the presentation and such. It keeps them busy. I don't know if this would translate well with elementary students, but I also give them a time limit and remind them of how much time they have left. If they are being slackers, boy that clock seems to go a little more quickly and they get down to business.

Doing the directions before they assemble into groups is important. I also give them a minute or two to get started (so they have something to show me or report to me & so they do some of their own problem-solving). Then I walk around and reinforce the directions, take questions, and offer help if they are really stuck.