Monday, September 15, 2008

Vocabulary word of the week.

Next Saturday I will be taking two tests. These two tests are probably the most important test I will take as I near the completion of my school work and apply for my teaching certificate. The first test will be in the morning is a test covering general subject knowledge, your Basic English, math, social studies, science and the arts. In the afternoon I will be tested on my professional knowledge or what I know about being a teacher. That one is actually more difficult because all I know about being a teacher is what I have learned from book and a few in class practicums. I therefore have decided to look at the word, test, to see its meaning and origin.
Word: Test
Parts of speech: it is both a noun and a verb.
Noun
A series of questions, problems, or physical responses designed to determine knowledge, intelligence, or ability.
Verb
To achieve a score or rating on tests: tested high on the entrance exams.
Origin and history of the word.
It comes from the Latin word testu and testum.
(Side note. The more I look into the origins of our common words and see that they are taken very often almost verbatim from Latin the more value I can se in learning the language. My son’s school requires their students take two years of Latin and I am really beginning to see the value.)
So if you would all keep me in mind as I prepare for these test I would be most grateful.

1 comment:

BobG said...

I took Latin all through high school, and have never regretted it. I am somewhat rusty, these days, but I still try to keep up a bit. You have to remember that was 39 years ago.