Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wow I never knew that.

According to NPR the National Education Association found that statewide the percentage of men who taught elementary school was only 9%. That is really low and really sad. Men have so much to offer in the classroom and children can benefit a great deal from having the perspective of both a female teacher as well as a male teacher.
I think the reason why so many women tend to teach at the lower grade levels is we tend to associate the younger grades with more nurturing environments. As the children grow older they need less nurturing, so as they move on to higher grades you begin to see more male teachers. This is an unfair stereotype that men can not nurture. Many men are very nurturing and are quite capable of shepherding the younger children through their elementary years.
From Kindergarten through sixth grade my son had one male teacher, his fourth grade teacher. He is a wonderful teacher and my son learned a great deal form him. One of the most valuable lessons my son learned was that men can be teachers too. For a while he wanted to be a teacher himself. Now he wants to go to the Air Force Academy or design cars. But by having had a male elementary teacher he knows that he can do anything he wants to whether it’s is etching or flying or designing the next generation of cars. I only wish more boys could have the opportunity of being taught by a man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There aren't that many male teachers, period. One reason is the pay. You see more at my level because of the extra-curricular activities like sports for coaching.

I have disagree with something you said, though: As the children grow older they need less nurturing.

Trust me, they need it even more when they are going through those awkward teenage years. They just aren't as vocal about their need for it like the little kids are. It is manifested through apathy, isolating self, acting-out, anger, and sometimes they will express it.

If I've learned anything as a high school teacher it is that kids are kids and Maslow applies to all ages.

momster said...

I should proof read my paper more carefully as what I said was not exactly what I meant what I should have said is that the perception is that students need less nurturing as they get older so men who may not feel comfortable teaching the younger child may feel more comfortable teaching the older child but you are absolutely correct in saying that the older child still needs to be nurtured. AI find myself at 47 still in need of nurturing from time to time.