Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Precious meme.

The idea for this meme came about because while I was working on the favorite drinking vessel meme my mom mailed this little red book back to me. This unassuming little red book is my most precious possession. It was a Christmas present from my Grandmother in 1985. I remember unwrapping the present and looking at it and thinking this is interesting a photo album. I was sure it was empty and meant for me to fill with photos.
And then I opened it and saw this page and knew I had something interesting.

I turned the page and this is the first photograph I saw and on the page next to it written in her own hand was the description of the photo telling me that this was in Great Dodington England -1879." The house where my grandma's grandma was born. The people in the picture are my grandmother's great grandparents. That would make them my great great great Grandma parents.
Below is a picture of my great great great grandfather John Brooks and his son also named John Brooks. I believe I was able to find the senior John Brooks civil war recored. I found a John Brooks who served in the 22nd infantry in Iowa's and served as a fifer. Family history places the Brooks family in Iowa just prior to the start of the civil war so that information fits. I was not able to find anything on my great great great uncle as he was only 9 when he went to war with his father so no records were kept as far as I have been able to find.
This is a picture of my great grandfathers farm house in Nebraska.
This is my great grandmother and grandfather on their wedding day.
This is a picture of my grandmother when she was almost four with her little baby sister. My great grandmother died shortly after my grandmother's sister was born. The doctor who came in a horse and buggy to deliver her failed to wash up after his last patient and infected my great grandmother. It was 1909 and there were no antibiotics and there was nothing that could be done for her. My great grandfather was devastated and as my grandmother recalled he was always a sad and lonely man after that. The two girls were not raised my their father but were separated and raised by their maternal; and paternal grandparents.
These two pictures show my mom, her mom, and her brothers when they were just little and again when they were grown.
This handsome man is my grandfather .
These pictures show my grandfather in his football uniform and again with my grandmother and friends. The last picture was taken in Arizona in 1948.

However, as wonderful as these pictures the icing on the cake was when I saw that not only had she given me this wonderful phonographic history of the family but she had also written it down. One the next pages were the story of her life, the history of her side of the family, and how she met my grandfather. I though I must be her favorite grandchild to be given such a special gift. I later found that all of her grandchildren received the same gift but that was what was so magical about Grammy, she made each one of us grandchildren feel like we were her favorite. I have always loved and treasured this book and I have read her words many times but now it is even more important because we lost her 2 years ago at the age of 100 and 1 month. The first time I reread her book after loosing her it was like hearing her voice all over again and now I know that whenever I miss her or need to hear her again all I have to do is open this book and she will be right there back with me.



So here is the challenge choose the item that is "Your Precious" and write about it, how you got it, why it’s important and any other pertinent information. You can include pictures or not it is up to you. It can't be a person or a pet though it has to be a thing.
Let the person who tagged you know you are playing.
Choose five people, tag them on their blog, and reference their blog in your post.
There that’s it.

I tag.
Big bad wolf
fuzzys dad
BOBG
RT
Wyatt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will work on this and do a post.Rick

Big Bad Wolf said...

This could take a while....