Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weather alert!


Growing up in Colorado I was familiar with weather alerts. In the winter, we had winter storm or blizzard warning. In the summer, there were thunderstorm and tornado warning. After we moved to Arizona I had thought they days of my weather alerts were mostly behind me. I was wrong. We arrived in Arizona in July on 2008 in the middle of monsoon season. There were plenty of thunderstorm warnings and watches, but I was familiar with that. It wasn’t until later after we had moved into our house and I was sitting at my computer one day when I learned what other kind of weather warnings there were. My computer began to chirp and the weather bug in the lower right corner was flashing. I clicked it to see what was up and there it was my first excessive heat warning. Since then we have had lots and lots of those and in fact we are having one right now. It 104 degrees so it is a bit toasty. We have also had several stagnant air warning and I have learned to take these warnings seriously. It means that air is bad and my lungs are likely to get upset with me and begin to wheeze and cough. So while I no longer get the winter storms warning or tornado warning my weather bug does get a work out, warning me of heavy rain and thunderstorms with heavy rain , excessive heat and air that is unsafe to breathe. For that, I am grateful. Now if you will excuse me I am going to turn on the air conditioner and close all the drapes until October, its now summer in Arizona.

4 comments:

Big Bad Wolf said...

G-ddamn Colorado weather. It was pouring down rain today while the sun was shining and the shy was blue everywhere but right over us.

Yesterday was 86 degrees...last week it snowed. I thought Virginia weather was weird.

momster said...

That's Colorado for you. I went to the church on my wedding day in April with on a warm sunny day, by the end of our reception is was cold windy and snowing very hard. You're right its a crazy state but as they say if you don't like the weather give it a few minutes it will change.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

And it is so frakkin' hot out there! Better you than me.

momster said...

Wyatt- someone needs to talk to Al Gore about global warming. Its only 54 this morning and the high is expected to be 69. How weird is that?