Thursday, May 29, 2008

Will the truth really set you free?



That’s the question of today, will the truth really set you free or turn around and bite you in the butt.

Here’s the problem I am about to start my first assignment for Methods for Teaching Structured English Immersion (SEI) and English as a Second Language (ESL) The assignment reads as follows: Review the time line you made in this lesson. Briefly explain how each of the events has affected bilingual education and ESL instruction. Your response must explain at least five different events. In the body of the lesson where she asks us to make a time line she makes the point that we must include these 5 topics: The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution The Civil Rights Act of 1964 The Equal Education Opportunities Act of 1974 The Bilingual Education Act of 1968 (Title VII) Lau vs. Nichols (1974).

Based on this I naturally assume that she wants me to discuss in the assignment the five items she had listed above as well as any other items I found on my own. I have no problem with items 4 through 5 but I have a big problem with number 1. Specifically the 14th amendment, which reads in part as, copied from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution: Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

This is what is causing my problem; I just don’t see how this applies to bilingual education at all. Clearly, she has what I perceive as a liberal agenda. So do I write what I believe that applying the 14thamendemnt is a huge stretch and support my belief and risk being on her short list and perhaps having my grade suffer or do I write what I think she wants to see and drink the kool-aid so to speak? Any ideas?

2 comments:

Sezme said...

She might be getting to NCLB given what she has asked you to read. NCLB is set up in a way that it is impossible (mostly) to follow the ideas of what she gave you to read.

Write what you believe. However, when you are an educator you have to be prepared to hear the other side.

I did some grad work on all of this. Good luck! There are a lot of inequities in NCLB that people who have not read the entire thing do not understand.

Speak from your heart, but provide iron-clad proof for your arguments.

momster said...

Thanks for the advise?I will make sure I have backed up anything I say.