Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wednesday's poetry corner.

This week I wanted to share a poem by a famous woman poet. While searching for women poets, I came across Louisa May Alcott's name. I knew she was a well-known writer of the "Little Women"and "Little Men" books but I did not know that she wrote poetry. I thought "To The First Robin" was especially appropriate for this time of year and it is a really sweet poem. I hope you enjoy it.

TO THE FIRST ROBIN

by: Louisa May Alcott (1832-1888)

      ELCOME, welcome, little stranger,
      Fear no harm, and fear no danger;
      We are glad to see you here,
      For you sing "Sweet Spring is near."

      Now the white snow melts away;
      Now the flowers blossom gay:
      Come dear bird and build your nest,
      For we love our robin best.
"To the First Robin" is reprinted from Louisa May Alcott: Her Life, Letters, and Journals. Ednah D. Cheney. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1889.

The poem was taken from the following web site http://www.poetry-archive.com/a/to_the_first_robin.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am ready for spring.