Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day!

I wanted to write about Valentine's Day, so I spent a little time on the internet trying to find interesting stuff about the holiday. What I found is amazing. I stumbled across several sites that absolutely hate Valentine's Day. They all fall into one of two categories.

There is the Valentine's Day that is not a religious holiday and has not been since 1969 when the Catholic Church canceled it. It does not even recognize a Saint Valentine. The holiday had become commercialized; more about chocolate and flowers instead of a festival of love, so they got rid of it. Another fun holiday gets whacked by Christian fundamentals. Why do they call themselves fundamentalist when there is nothing fun about them? First Halloween and now Valentine's Day? Is poor Saint Patrick the next to be banned?

The next group falls into what I call a bunch of whiny babies. They hate Valentine's Day because it is commercial and phony. Why should there be a special day to say you love someone? Shouldn’t you say it all year long? Well, yes, that is true and most people do tell their loved ones all year long that they are loved and not just on Valentine's Day. I think the truth is not because they think Valentine's Day is too commercial but that they are single and not by choice.

Okay, that may be harsh but you do not see this kind of backlash against Christmas and that’s a big commercialized holiday as well. I think they should just admit they hate all the cards, chocolate, flowers, and silly stuffed animals because they know that no one is going to be buying any for them.

I can understand feeling bad about not getting anything for Valentine's Day. There were many years when the only Valentine's gifts I got were from my Mom and Dad. Nevertheless, to hate the holiday because you are not participating is a little extreme. I say enjoy the day. If no one is going to be buying you chocolate, buy your own. That way you will get exactly what you like. If you want flowers, then go and get some. Better yet, have some delivered from a “Secret Admirer." If someone is interested in you, they may become jealous and finally show interest in you. Do not take the holiday away from those of us who enjoy giving and receiving little red hearts to and from our loved ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tell my wife I love her every day and several times a day.I think it is very important to let your spouse you love them.As you never know if one or the other of you will be gone.So never let them wonder if you love them.Tell them often and mean it.

momster said...

I totally agree with you. Everyone in my family are always telling each other that we love them. I am so pleases that my 12 year old still hugs and kisses me when I drop him off at school and he tells me he loves when he hangs up teh phone. It is so important because you never know whats around the corner and to know that you are loved and love others is so important.