Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday’s Poetry corner.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ogden Nash, today’s poetry corner will introduce you to one of America’s finest poets. Ogden Nash had a gift for using language to create incredibly vivid pictures in the reader mind. He could manipulate words in such a way that left you both thinking and laughing. I found a web site, http://www.westegg.com/nash, that shows cases several of Ogden’s poems and I would like to share a few of them with you.

The Cow
by Ogden Nash

The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other, milk.

I chose this one becaue I like cows.

Everybody Tells Me Everything
by Ogden Nash

I find it very difficult to enthuse

Over the current news.

Just when you think that at least the outlook is so black that it can grow no blacker, it worsens,

And that is why I do not like the news, because there has never been an era when so many things were going so right for so many of the wrong persons.

This one was picked because I felt it is still so true today.

Finally, I chose the last poem because it shows Ogden’s clever use of language to illustrate his point in his poems.

The Wasp
by Ogden Nash

The wasp and all his numerous family
I look upon as a major calamity.
He throws open his nest with prodigality,
But I distrust his waspitality.

To find more of his poems click on Ogden Nash.
http://www.westegg.com/nash/dot.gif

No comments: