Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The hatchet lady.


A little story from my childhood to shed some light on why I turned out the way I did. I have two older brothers who from as early as I can remember loved to scare the crap out of me.

At the every far corner of our basement was a pantry where my mother kept her canned fruits and vegetables. She makes the very best canned peaches. Whenever she would ask me to go down stairs and bring up a can I resisted, I didn’t want to do it. She would yell, I would pout and make the long trek down the stairs around the corner and down the long hallway. It never failed as soon as I was half way down the hall the light would go out and I would have to make my way the rest of the way in the dark. I would grab the peaches and go running back up the stairs usually to find my brothers laughing their butts off.

That wasn’t the worst though, the worst was when my parents would go out for the evening. They would leave my brothers in charge and tell them to look out for me. That was not their idea of a good time. Instead, they would tell me that the hatchet lady was loose, again. It never occurred to me that every time my parents left the hatchet lady got loose. Then they told me they were going to go out and look for her and I was to stay inside and keep all the doors locked. If I dared open the door for any one, it would be the hatchet lady and she would kill me! Then they would go out and party, leaving me all alone in a locked up house with every, and I mean every light on down in the basement watching the Twilight zone. I never told my parents they were leaving me because I didn’t know they were supposed to be watching me. But they knew they could go out have a good that and I was safe at home.

I got my revenge though. One night after watching the Night Stalker on TV, I went up stairs to go to bed. Unknown to me my brother had gone up before me and hid in my closet. As I got into my nightgown, he began to make a growling noise and scratch on him inside of my closet door. Talk about being scared I ran out of my room screaming, crying and not breathing. My brother followed behind laughing at me until he saw me turning blue then gray and he thought he had killed me. I think my mom blew in my face or something to get me to breath again I don’t remember what she did to my brother but knowing her I am sure it was good.

Just in case though if you hear the hatchet lady is out there , stay indoor lock all the door and turn on every single light in the house and find something scary on TV to watch. That will keep you safe. It worked for me.

No comments: