Saturday, January 5, 2008

School work

I am currently enrolled in a class for my teaching certificate called phonics, reading and decoding. It is the last class I need to take before I can officially enroll in the program. So far, I have done very well. I have taken 23 credit hours and I have a 4.0 average. Yeah me! However, this class is the hardest I have taken so far and I am struggling just to keep a B average. This will really bite if I do not get at least a B in the class because that is what you need to get into the program and I do not want to retake this class. However, as hard as it has been it has also been a lot of fun and very informative. As I learn how to teach reading and decoding, I have to apply those skills to a real live student. My seven-year-old daughter was recruited for the job. She had no choice but has been a good sport about the whole thing. We are actually having fun working together and I can see her reading skills improving. I might actually have what it takes to be a teacher after all. I tend to waffle bout that, some days I think yes I can do this I can teach! Other days I ask my self what do I think I am doing I can’t even control my two kids and think I can control a room full of little ankle biters? My admiration for the people who taught me and who now teach my children has grown tremendously since I started on the path to becoming a teacher myself. I only hope that I will be able to make a difference in a child’s life by giving them a love of learning that will last their whole life long, that and I get my summers off.

12 comments:

Old NFO said...

Congratulations on joining the blogsphere! You can vent, ask for help, etc. out here.

I admire your going back to school and wanting to become a teacher... that is one hellva responsibility these days.

Good luck :-)

Sezme said...

Yep, you never truly know the stress and angst of being a teacher until you become one (speaking from experience).

One thing you will always find is that you will question if you have what it takes. It comes with the job, especially if you are truly conscientious. It is a result of wanting to do what's best for all of your students. You might think you didn't reach some or you might think you didn't help the ones that needed it the most; however, you do, you're just not told as often as you should be. Children mature and learn at different speeds/rates. I've had students come back to me as seniors and tell me what they learned with me as sophomores really helped them.

Good luck! It is tiring, but rewarding. I'm eight years in and I still wonder if it is what I really want to do.

momster said...

rt, thank you for your response. Its nice to get the perspective of other teachers.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Way to go.

You know Wyatt is really an inmate at Graterford Prison like the rest of his readers. Doesn't mean they are bad people :)

Good luck Molly.

bigwhitehat said...

Hopped over from Wyatt's blog.

Just remember "Final stable syllable B L E." Sorry. Couldn't resist.

momster said...

bigwhitehat- I should know that if I am going to teach. I don't know what I would do with out spell check.

SoHoS said...

Welcome! I taught high school English for 3 years. So let me know if you ever want to talk about that. Good luck with your class!

momster said...

sohos- I appreciate the offer. I can always use the experience of teachers who have been there and done that. What is your blog address?

BobG said...

Welcome to the blogosphere.

Captain America said...

Good luck, just watch out for the Cops...if ya know what I mean!

Sezme said...

Yeah, because the cops get frisky.

HA!

momster said...

I should worry then if they ask me to assume the position?