Friday, January 18, 2008

Marching to his own drum


My husband was very involved in sport when he was in high school. He played basketball, football, and he wrestled. I think when he became the father of our some he envisioned that someday his son would follow his example and play high school sports as well. My son however marches to his own drum and chose to join the chess team instead.

So I called him at work a few months ago and told him his son and gone out for a school sport. He said sounding little excited, “Really which one?” And then I told him, the chess team.” I think He was just a tad disappointed that his son would not be exactly following in his footsteps but still proud of him for joining the team.

Our son does enjoy sports; he plays football, hockey and basketball. But he prefers to play with his friends in the park or in the street where the rules and the sides are not set in concrete and sides may change as the number of kids increases or decreases or simply because they choose to change the rules to make it more exciting.

He competed in his first school chess tournament last week and did very well. He played two games and won both of them. We are both extremely proud of our son and support him whether he plays chess or if he latter decides to play organized sports as long as he tries his best , is a good sport and most importantly has a good time doing it.

1 comment:

Sezme said...

I advised my school's chess club for six years. I had to settle many arguments before punches were thrown.

Good for your son. The skills involved with chess will serve him well. Meanwhile, I still don't know how to play. HA!