Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mid terms!

I really should be studying right now instead of posting, but my brain is full and I need a break. Now that I have been formally accepted into the teaching certification program, I am now taking my methods classes. The first class is Social Studies Methods. It has been very interesting so far.

RT would totally understand all of this, but I am finding it a bit confusing. The school has several standards. Standards are the classes like math, language, social studies, and so on. Each standard has several strands. For example, under the standard of social studies, there are five strands. They are American history, world history, civics and government, geography, and now economics. Under each standard, they have what are called concepts. And to make it even more confusing each concept has its own performance objectives to determine if the student actually learned the material.

To put the cherry on top you have to teach each standard, strand, concept and performance objective to meet those state standards, which were put into place with the no child, left behind act. (I gripped about that in an earlier post) I am hopping she will be testing on how well I understand the larger picture and does not focus on the many small details. Wish me luck this could be a hard test.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK.
YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!!!

Sezme said...

Good luck. And yes, I do understand. My methods class was useless, but that was more because of the professor than the school itself. All of my professors were awesome, except for her. A group of us actually got her removed. (Adjunct)

Largely, with the standards guiding you, you will learn all of this. When you actually teach, the connections are made. It becomes part of your thought process.

Anonymous said...

No wonder your brain is full, I got ADD just reading about the academics of it! (just kidding) Best of luck, you'll do beautifully!

Evil Transport Lady said...

Good Luck to you! I can't imagine going back to school! I never can figure out what I want to do!

Best of luck!