Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ready, AIMS, wait.

The schools in our district are giving the AIMS test this week to all students from the second grade on up. My son started his today, and I am proud to say he does not seem the least bit nervous about it.

However, because AIMS testing is so very important to each and every school, I have decided to not approach the principal until next week to see if we can come to some sort of agreement - or if I have to quit my afternoon job in order to complete my class work. This week she has a lot on her plate and I don’t think I would get a warm reception if I tried to dump anything else on it at this moment.

I have come to my decision, though, and I feel good about it. My ultimate goal is to be a schoolteacher. The only way to do that is to graduate from college and apply for a teaching certificate. If being in the classroom in the afternoons prevents this from happening, then I really have no choice. I will feel bad, of course, for my resource teacher, but I can’t put my dreams on hold for her convenience. I will let you know how things go next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck and go for it. Follow your dream.

BobG said...

Good luck; we need more schoolteachers with brains (and good taste in blogs).

Sezme said...

When you finish your practicum, you might want to think about subbing. It is a good foot in the door. Apply to area schools where you think you will feel comfortable. Here we have to apply by county and then by individual district.

I finished in Dec. after a fall semester student teaching assignment. I subbed that winter and found a job that summer.

Subbing also gives you a sneak peek at how other teachers do things and approach subjects. It's a big help.

momster said...

Thank you for the support and advice I really appreciate it.