Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Was my face red.

Yesterday started off like any other day. The alarm clock went off, I pried my son out of bed with threats of violence, and told him to be dressed before I got out of the shower. I showered, dressed, and then awoke the princess with instructions to get up and get dressed.

Prepared one son a waffle with peanut butter and told the princess to get dressed - and I better not have to tell you again. Reminded the son to pack his backpack and make sure he had his keys. He keeps losing them. Was pleasantly surprised that the daughter was actually dressed and her clothes matched. Gave her the morning medication and a waffle, but not with peanut butter: just butter. Got the son out the door, posted Tuesday's stories, and then brushed the princess, hair as gently as I could. There were only a few tears.

Got her out the door with an "I love you, be good, look both ways, and then peace." Thirty minutes later, I left for work, secure in the knowledge that all was well with the world. I walked in, said hello to my co-workers, and began to assemble 16 oriental salads when my co worker says to me, "What’s up with your shoes?” I say “Nothing. Why do you ask?” As I say this, I am looking at my shoes and I can’t believe this: I have on one white shoe and one black shoe.

How this happened, I have no idea. It wasn’t dark, and I had to untie the shoes before I put them on and then retie them, and yet I never noticed they were two different colors. I started laughing, my co-workers started laughing, then the building manager started laughing, the custodian started laughing, and finally the official school welder started laughing.

I said “Well, at least you're laughing with me and not at me." My boss said, "No, we are laughing at you.” I went home during our break and changed my shoes. Later I thanked my children for letting me leave the house with shoes that didn’t match. Nice kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. thank God my Dear wife keeps my stuff matched.

Sezme said...

I rarely get to blow dry my hair, and I never get to put more make up on than cover up and powder.

Mornings are rough. :)