Thursday, April 3, 2008

What a dilemma!

Most of you know that I work in a school cafeteria while going to school to get my teaching certificate. This job has provided many wonderful opportunities. I have had plenty of support from the principal and many teachers while going to school. They have provided helpful advice and guidance through my journey. I was even given the opportunity to work in the afternoons as a paraprofessional in the resource room. I love being with the children and I have gained lost of experience by being in many different classrooms and by working with the children.

This leads me to my dilemma. I am about half way through my methods class. In order to pass this class I need twenty hours in a classroom, ten for observation, six for tutoring, and four hours in teaching a lesson to the whole class. I tried to compromise with my supervising teacher by working my schedule so I could be in a third grade class for about 30 minutes a day during their social studies class. This meant that she would need to supervise my language student while she did her independent work for about 15 minutes and then I would take over. It would be tight but I thought I would be able to complete my hours for my practicum by the end of the school year this way. Yesterday my supervising teacher told me that she was changing my schedule. I was trading place with another aid who was doing inclusion work. I said, “Ok.” because that is how I am. I then asked her was I still going to be able to be with my practicum teacher. Her response was only if my inclusion teachers did not need me. This is where I pull my hair out. That won’t work I have two month to get in about 17 hours and going in when they don’t need me will not come anywhere close to getting me the time I need to finish my class.

How do I solve this problem? On one hand, I love being with the children in the resource room, on the other hand I have to complete the practicum to pass the course. On one hand, my resource teacher is already short staffed and she really needs me as she is getting six more students. One the other hand I have already paid my tuition and bought my textbook and it is too late for a refund. It seems to me that my only option may be to quite my afternoon job. I hate doing that because I know what a bind that will put her in and I am afraid it would jeopardize my chances of ever working at that school again. Nevertheless, I really need to do my practicum. Where’s my duct tape my head is about to explode!

1 comment:

Sezme said...

Usually colleges have contacts with schools for placement. Do you have that?

A resource room definitely will not get you the hours you need.

My practicums were semester long and I had to be there a few hours several days per week. (I had two at one time and had to split them.)

Try talking to your adviser at your college. He/she might have some advice.