Thursday, April 10, 2008

Procedure, procedure, procedure!

I had the opportunity of being in several classrooms at many grade levels, some of them are very well run, some are okay, and a few are not so good. If I were to pinpoint the one thing that sets a good classroom apart from a bad one, it would have to be the implementation of procedures or the lack thereof.

One if the first classes I took was in classroom management. The author of the text, Fred Jones, was very explicit about procedures, why they are important, and how to implement them. I didn’t understand completely at the time why this was so necessary to the running of a classroom, but now that I have seen it in action, I am a true believer of procedures and routines.

I just spent the afternoon in a fourth grade classroom where there were absolutely no procedures at all. I like the teacher - he is a great person and he loves his kids - but his classroom is barely-contained chaos at times. Something as simple as having students getting out of their desks and getting a textbook from the back of the room turned into pandemonium. They were noisy and rowdy, and it took far longer then it should have.

I so wanted to stop the class and say, "Listen, there is no reason why getting a book has to be this noisy." If it were my class, I would have one table at a time get their books, or I would have chosen one student per table to bring a book back for everyone at the table. I would definitely have a procedure for changing activities when we come back to the classroom after library, computer, art, P.E., or music. And you can bet I would have a procedure for when the class became noisy while I was trying to teach.

I like the "Give me five" that I have seen in many classrooms. The students have learned that when the teacher says, "Give me five" and starts counting down, they know what is expected of them. Five: mouth shut, four: stop what you’re doing, three: eyes on the teacher, two: listen for directions, and one: do what you have been told. It is something to that effect - and the direction may vary from teacher to teacher - but I have seen it work.

It is frustrating though to be in a classroom and not be able to help when you know you could but you don’t want to step on any toes. After all, he is a profession teacher and I just want to be one.

2 comments:

Sezme said...

Counting to five or there is a detention works at the high school level.

Teachers do what works for them.

You'll see.

Kids that are used to routine react crazy when the smallest thing disrupts that routine. I see it even in high school students.

Also, some teachers see a time such as getting books as a brief time for the kids to relax a bit.

I teach intensely at 15-20 minute intervals. When we switch activities, most of the time, the switch involves some kind of movement and socialization. They need it or they go a little bonkers and are harder to contain.

Sometimes they get a little wonky, and that's when the counting works.

Like I said, each teacher has his or her own way of doing things.

momster said...

Excellent points. It may very well be that he was giving them a break but I have been in his classroom several times now and it is always chaotic. Other teachers have pointed out his lack or organizational skill as well and it really shows in his classroom. But that could just by his style they do seem to be learning and maybe thats what it all boils down to in the end any way.